Sunday, July 22, 2012

Stranded in Bolivia: Kettlebell Training for Survival Fitness


Nico Rithner used kettlebell training to help him build strength to survive in Bolivia.
When I think of survival, I think of a shortage of everything, including the basic essentials like food, medicine, and appropriate shelter. When I was 18, I had a small adventure which included these shortages. I was stranded in Bolivia, just me with only a tourist visa and without any skills, money, or friends. During those 13 months of “personal development,” I learned a few things about survival, and how to live day-to-day. I now realize that my struggle in Bolivia was “my coming of age” and helped me develop into the man I am today.
I arrived in Santa Cruz, Bolivia with very little money and no job. Soon after failing at getting a job, I ended up homeless and completely broke. All I had was a small backpack with one change of clothes and one jean jacket. To make matters worse, my visa didn’t allow me to take a real job and I had very limited choices. I was put to the test and I found ways to survive. I travelled on the roof of a train, I stowed away on a banana truck, I fought off robbers, and I ran for hours every day in exchange for a plate of food. I climbed a tall fence daily to avoid security guards so that I could get to my sleeping spot each night.
Things got better over time. I survived hunger, homelessness, thieves, and other challenges. After over a year of struggle, I ended up making my way back home. When I got back to my family in Patagonia, I was a different person. I was tougher both physically and mentally and I was heavier and stronger. I felt more confident than I ever had in who I was and the man I was becoming.

Stranded In Bolivia: Situational Briefing & Workout Planning

Location: South East Bolivia. City of Santa Cruz.
Climate: Subtropical jungle.
Conditions: Urban environment. 3rd world city.
Employment: Access to very low-paying, physical jobs, enough to trade for shelter and food. Little rest due to poor quality of shelter and very limited food supply.
Threats: Illnesses, robbers, narcs. A Caucasian appearance gets unwanted attention, fighting and escaping required.
Fitness Level: Good cardio foundation and average levels of strength. Before arriving in Bolivia, I had been training consistently with a local swim team for five years. I was training a few hours each day, six times a week. Swimming and cross training was the extent of my fitness.
The Program: When surviving in Bolivia, I learned that while being fit was very important, avoiding getting sick or injured was equally vital to survival. These workouts put emphasis on overall strength and endurance, overloading very conservatively to avoid over training and injury. Down in Bolivia, I didn’t have kettlebells or any equipment for that matter, and I used only calisthenics to maintain body strength.
Equipment: Timer, two kettlebells of equal weight, 18-24 inch stable platform, pull up bar or tree branch
Workout Schedule: Allot only two days a week to kettlebell lifting and the rest to light cardio and 30 minutes of joint mobility and stretching, or simply joint mobility and stretching.

Kettlebell Dive Bomber

Nico Rithner kettlebell dive bomber

Kettlebell Windshield Wiper

Nico Rither kettlebell windshield wiper

Kettlebell Power Snatch

Nico Rithner kettlebell power snatch

Stranded In Bolivia: Kettlebell Workout #1

WARM UPGeneral Warm Up: Joint Rotation/Dynamic Stretch
Warm Up for Snatch:
A: Alternating 1-Hand Swing - 1 x 2 min
B: Clean - 1 x 2 min per side
C: Double Clean - 1 x 1 min
WORKOUT
A1:
 Single Half Snatch - 2 x 10 per side
A2: Rope Skipping (Shuffling Feet) - 2 x 1 min
A3: Double Half Snatch. - 2 x 10
A4: Rope Skipping (High Knees) - 2 x 1 min
A5: Single Half Snatch - 2 x 10 per side
A6: Rope Skipping (Feet Together) - 2 x 30 sec
A7: Double Half Snatch - 2 x 10
A8: Rope Skipping (Double unders) - 2 x 30 sec
B1: Shoulder Bridge Chest Press - 3 x 20
B2: Rope Skipping (Sprint) - 3 x 30 sec
B3: Double Bent Row - 3 x 20
B4: Rope Skipping (Easy) - 3 x 1 min
COOL DOWN
A:
 Windmill Series - 1 x 10 min
B: Stretching - 1 x 20 min

Stranded In Bolivia: Kettlebell Workout #2

WARM UPGeneral Warm Up: Joint Rotation/Dynamic Stretch
Warm up for Power Snatch:
A: Muscle Snatch - 1 x 1 min
B: Hang Power Snatch - 1 x 1 min
C: Power Pull - 1 x 1 min
WORKOUT
A1:
 Double Power Snatch - 2 x 10
A2: Rotational Sit Up - 2 x 10 each direction
A3: Double Power Snatch + 3 Push Ups - 2 x 10
A4: Reverse Hypers - 2 x 1 min
A5: Double Power Snatch + 3 Dive Bombers - 2 x 10
A6: Side Bends - 2 x 1 min per side
B1: Lateral Step Ups (Kettlebell on back) - 2 x 2 min
B2: Pull Ups (Use different variations) - 2 x 1 min
B3: Decline Push Ups - 2 x 1 min
B4: 2-Foot Box Hops (Backwards/Forwards) - 2 x 2 min
B5: Pull Ups (Use different variations) - 2 x 1 min
C: 1-Leg Orbitals - 1 x 1 min
D: 1-Leg Jerk - 1 x 1 min
E: Shoulder Bridge “I” - 1 x 1 min
F: Shoulder bridge “T” - 1 x 1 min
COOL DOWN
A:
 Get Up Series - 1 x 10 min
B: Stretching - 1 x 20 min

No comments: