Friday, August 10, 2012

Andy Hug Tribute




This video triggers a lot of good memories, I have spent a countless hours on Knock Down Karate sparring with some of the best, winning a gold medal and trophy for best technical fighter after 4 fights that day at a huge open European Knock Down tournament, Copenhagen  Open, is my most cherished memory. 

All my training buddies took all the gold medals, the first tournament that Nicholas Pettas fought in, I introduced him to Kyokushin Karate while I had 1 week as a kid to try to be a teacher at another school and we became friends, he was my last opponents at my graduation to my brown belt, where by some strange reason for the first and only time, I was not allowed to rest a day and fight the day after the technical and physical test, which is a tradition and custom as you can hardly move after the exhausting test, I had 5 minutes to get ready to fight, I had to fight 7 opponents and could hardly stand up, it was the worst beating I ever have experienced and had to win 4 of them to get my belt, luckily the first 3 were easy as their technical level and fighting experience was low, but the last 2 were a nightmare I could not move at all and was a punching and kicking bag. In the middle of the last fight Nicholas whispered to me you have to do something and I whispered I can’t move at all, I passed the test and nearly passed out from exhaustion. 

My sensei believed that I could anything, even things that were not safe, as when I was 14 I had to fight 3 senior fighters with full Knock Down rules, as I was not 18 years old he wanted to prove to the whole club that I could do the impossible and fight under senior rules to prove that my belt was earned by fighting under the hardest and harshest conditions. It did prove one thing, even if your body gives up and you are taking a beating, there are 2 options, give up or continue until you black out from exhaustion. ‘Never give up’ is one of the best mottos. 

Mas Oyama philosophy with the mindset that you can continue even if the body gives up, is to some extent true but doing it too often has a high price, I have had several serious injuries and one that is still present after 25 years. 

No comments: