Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sanatan Shastarvidiya - Spring 2012 Seminar - Pt1




I remember watching a documentary with Richard Dawkins where he interviewed a scientist about how the eye works and that it had a blind spot, this was used as a counterargument against the intelligent design argument of the perfection of the eye’s design was the proof of a creator, but this flaw was not very favourable to the human species and hence not perfect.

I had since then tried to find a way to use this information to combat, how to attack from the right angle so the opponent could not see it coming. My interest in biology and evolution has helped me a lot to explain some simple facts, as why do our peripheral vision expand with 15 degree, which IMO is very simple not that long ago in a biological evolutionary timescale we used to hunt by looking down to track our prey and not step on a scorpion, snake or other things that are not healthy for anyone, if our peripheral vision was narrowed instead of expand we would be easy prey ourselves if we didn’t spot danger fast enough.

Seeing this used by Sanatan Shastarvidiya was what I had been looking for in many years, I was just about to read Steven Pinker’s book “Visual Cognition” to see if there was more info about this, but the worst and extremely most boring chapter I have ever read was the chapter “The Mind’s Eye” in his other book “How the Mind Works” where there was not any of the information I was searching for.


No comments: